Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Some photographs from Peru

I haven't got the time to sort the 1000 or so photographs I took in Peru. But I thought I should at least put up some of them here. Hopefully I'll be able to put more in my gallery. :)

So, here's a mini selection of 33 photographs. Enjoy.


The town of Urubamba - my home for 2 months.


Our eco-tourism lodge in Chicon, 6 km from Urubamba.


Some Peruvian children we taught during our mini-project.


The Salinas (salt pans) in the Sacred Valley.


Plaza de Armas in Cusco, the capital of South America.


The ruins at Pisac.


Matt and I learning about bees at one of our weekend workshops.


Reed boats at the Uros islands on Lake Titicaca.


The mountains in Bolivia viewed from Isla Amantani on Lake Titicaca.


A group photo after a mini fiesta on Lake Titicaca.


A Peruvian girl at Inti Raymi, Cusco.


A scene from Inti Raymi at Sacsayhuaman.


Cooking our lunch with heated rocks and soil using the traditional Peruvian way.


Santa Catalina Convent in Arequipa.


On the way to Chivay and Colca Canyon from Arequipa.


Mother and son in a small village in Colca Canyon.


At Colca Canyon, the world's second deepest canyon where graceful condors zoomed past my head.


Typical colourful Peruvian textile on sale at Cruz del Condor.


This exotic monkey belongs to Javier, my volunteer work coordinator.


Javier rears many guinea pigs for food. Guinea pigs are not pets in Peru.


A group photo at the beginning of the 80-km Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu.


The second day of the trek was the worst, ascending almost 1000 metres in 2 hours.


We crossed the river using this manual pulley system.


Alas! After 5 days of trekking, I made it to Machu Picchu.


The magnificent view of Machu Picchu from Wayna Picchu.


On the way to the Amazon Jungle, descending into the cloudforest.


Only the first part of the journey to Manu National Park in the Amazon was by bus; the rest was by boat.


We were very lucky to spot many caimans in the Amazon.


Approaching Cocha Otorongo, the best part of Manu.


Mornings in the Amazon are always misty.


On a catamaran on Cocha Salvador in the Amazon.


The gorgeous view of the Andes on my plane on the way from Cusco to Lima.


Lima is a coastal city and the beaches are probably the best parts of the city.

No comments: