Saturday, May 13, 2006

I should have known better...

I should be happy when Harvey wrote me a letter a few days ago, saying that the department is submitting my dissertation for publication in the academic journal, although Harvey said “there is no guarantee that papers we submit will be accepted.”

Lagnado said to me that would be excellent and “you would have something to put on your CV.”

I should be happy, but I’m not.

Instead, I am plainly frustrated.

Haggard said he’s willing to do anything that helps, within his capabilities that can get me out of the bond, so that I can continue PhD in Psychology.

Ah well, I should have known better when I signed my name on that piece of paper 5 years ago. I’ve given up.

Like Harvey said, the accepted publication would probably only “remind me of your time as a psychologist.”

I don’t know what to reply to them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dude..this is great man...what an achievement!

I can't say i understand how u feel, but this is smth tt few pple would achieve in their undergraduate studies. A pat on ur back!

cheer up dude :)

Anonymous said...

I know it's frustrating, however if you are determined to become a psychologist, it doesn't matter if you become one at age 30, or at age 40. Your time will come - you just have to work towards it.

This probably isn't comforting, but what you said reminded me of what Fann Wong said when she had her double-bond issue many years ago. Signing that bond at age 18 was a result of a calculated decision, and staying with the company, well, you may hate me for saying this, but it's an obligation to fulfill. Knowing your outstanding capabilities I wish you have the money to buy yourself out, but at the same time, selfishly I hope Singapore will have a reporter/journalist honest and compassionate for its people.

Be proud of your paper submission, not everyone has that rare opportunity. :) I won't even have one when I'm done with my masters.

Anonymous said...

i understand how you feel. give it a try, i mean the phd. if you give up now, there is no return, and the next six long years, you will always look back and wonder "what if". give it a try, especially when you only owe three years' money as of now.