Thursday, September 07, 2006

Free

My US hosts for the Stanford Homestay Program, Don and Mary, sent me several emails - they sounded very friendly, offering to pick me up at San Francisco Airport (haha... I can save at least US$20 for the trip), offering to drive me all around prior to the start of school (save more money), and also free accommodation in their house (yet, more savings!):

"Our home is located about six miles from the campus. While you are with us, we will be glad to drive you back and forth and to take time to acquaint you with this area. We think it is one of the nicest places in the country, so expect to hear us brag about it occasionaly! (Don't expect us to be similarly enthusiastic about our government!)...

...Both of us are retired school teachers. Mary taught middle-school students in Redwood City for many years; during those same years I taught high school chemistry in Palo Alto. We have enjoyed the opportunity to do a lot of traveling to many parts of the world. One of our enjoyable experiences was a visit of several days to Singapore, almost thirty years ago. On a number of our trips, we were able to become re-acquainted with former students whom we had hosted while they were attending Stanford or other local schools."

I can't wait to leave Singapore. After living abroad for 3 years (plus 1 more year), I wonder how I'm going to survive in mundane Singapore for possibly the next 6 years. :(

~~~~~
*My plan to visit Peru is still ongoing. Anybody interested?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peru?? Me!!!

-- Mo =D