Thursday, July 14, 2005

After Machu Picchu

Salkantay Trek was really difficult and I bet I can now do the Inca Trail easily. Anyway I'll post a detailed update on Salkantay and Machu Picchu when I've organised my thoughts better.

5 days on Salkantay Trek made me realise how wonderful nature can be and how much I really love Peru. Coming back from Machu Picchu walking towards my casa in Urubamba, I discovered I actually miss my Peruvian host family during the 5 days I was away in the Andes. When I was back, I overheard my host dad saying "Donde esta mi hijo?" which really warmed my heart for a long time. Yesterday at lunch, he said he would confiscate my passport so that I cannot leave Peru. It then struck me that time really flies and this week is my last week of volunteer work. I'm beginning to miss every single thing in Peru. I don't know how to say goodbye to this fantastic family and my wonderful Peruvian los ninos de Chicon. It's really hard to let go...

Of London

5 days away in the mountains means that I was being cut off totally from the outside world. It was only 3 days after the bomb blasts that I knew of this piece of breaking news, when I checked my email in Agus Calientes. London being attacked is actually not shocking for me, but what I did not expect is that the attack venues chosen were the places that I frequent almost everyday. Tavistock Street, on which the bus exploded, was the very street from which I take my bus back home every single day. And my Psychology university building is only one block away from Tavistock Street. My friend witnessed the bus explosion in front of his eyes and had a narrow escape. Another friend visiting from Singapore, was further away and heard the blast loud and clear. From now on, Tavistock Street will no longer be the same.

No comments: