Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Breaking my b**d?

Breaking my b**d?

I never thought the idea of breaking my b**d would have crossed my mind.

Until today. After an unexpected discussion with my professor.

Yes, I’m seriously thinking about the feasibility and plausibility of breaking my b**d now. But I cannot afford it, I know. So I will not break my b**d, unless somebody is willing to pay all the money (an astronomical 6-digit figure) for me.

Morally and socially, this is wrong, I know. My mind is clear. My professor told me, “This is clearly trickier than I thought.”

“Is it the government or a private company?” Prof P.H. asked.

I told him explicitly, “It is private, but somewhat controlled by the government.”

“What if I write a letter to your company?” Prof P.H. said.

Oh wow, I wish that letter will work. But I told him directly, “Unless I can pay for what I owe them…”

“I see... but I will be happy to do anything else to help.”

“Let me know if I can do anything, if you decide to…” He then repeated.

Suddenly I feel free in my career options. I AM thinking of going into academia after what he said today.

I am still ruminating…

1 comment:

Rondeau said...

I have exactly the same experience 2 years ago. My prof invited me to join his company, but I have a bond to fulfil. In the end, I did not break my bond, though many said I'm foolish. Actually, I really wanted to break my bond at that point, but it's too high a price to pay. Though not necessary, I live through the choice I made when I was just a naive 19 year old. Prof said he will wait for me. Right now, 2 years have passed and I have another 2-3 yrs (depending how early I want to quit??) to the end of my bond. It's pretty fast, I guess. But I am really glad to have met someone who believes so much in me. =)