Saturday, December 27, 2003

Boxing Day

Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day were spent cooping up in my 5 metres by 3 metres container, uploading my photos and rushing my lab report due on the 1st day of school next term, before I'm off to satisfy my wanderlust again in 4 days time. Just heard Danny Yeo (杨君伟) on UFM 100.3 encouraging a little girl, "When you gain something, you will lose something." How universal and true this statement is. When I decide to spend money and time to fly to Austria to look at new scenery and understand the Austrian culture, I lose that money which can be used to buy better food (instead of munching on bread and sandwiches every occasional meal), and time which I could have to do more readings. When you spent time understanding a person better, you lose out on time which can be used to understand another person in greater depth. When you spent time gaining trust from a person, you lose out the time to gain confidence from another friend.

So from the opposite angle, when you lose something, you gain something too, be it consciously or unconsciously.

Oh, I lost some time designated for writing my lab report to surf the internet, which means I've gained some knowledge on the origins of Boxing Day while reading the information on the net.

Erm... on a second thought, this sounds a bit Ah-Q... Doesn't it?

No comments: