Friday, October 21, 2005

Painful Process

It helps having only a few hours of lessons per week. At least I have ample time to do my psychological research and to complete my applications to graduate schools. They seem to be on the right track currently: I am almost ready to run my experiment on people, I only need to change some experimental variables. Applications wise, everybody is giving me their support, and I really feel pampered and lucky.

Letters of recommendation

I was discussing with Professor H regarding his letter of recommendation, and I told him frankly, “I really have no idea how you are going to write since I am not doing Science anymore, but am applying for a Humanities programme.” But he reassured me, “Don’t worry, I’ll write all the flattering stuff. I’ll make sure nothing goes wrong. I’ve got your CV, your academic records, your draft statement of purpose to Harvard… everything will be fine.” (By the way, Harvard’s program is a 2 year course, SPH won’t allow and I’m just applying for fun. Will negotiate with SPH if I do get in.)

Just when I am still dissatsified with my third draft of the statement of purpose, he added, “Your statement looks good. Really helps me in writing my reference.”

And then he asked me when the deadline is. I said “Late December, early January.”

He replied without hesistation, “I will finish the reference by next week.”

My second referee, Dr L, was also very supportive and he said, “You know what, my PhD was in Philosophy, maybe I can write that in and say that I know the qualities and skills required to do a Humanities subject and that you possess these, to make my reference more convincing. Moreover, I am switching to do Psych now, so I don’t see why you cannot switch also.”

Dr L then added, “I am going to the US next month, visiting Berkeley and other universities, and will be meeting some senior professors. I’ll get their opinions on how to recommend and what admissions committee in the US usually look for, and see what I can write for you.”

My third referee, Mr C from Zaobao, was the first person I approached and he instantly agreed to write a reference for me. I still cannot forget his four words “全力支持”, when I first made the request when I was still interning in September. I am counting on his reference since it should be the most relevant to the course I am applying.

I really don’t know how to thank them.

Statement of Purpose

I have already spent 3 weeks on this and I am still not satisfied, and am working on my fourth draft. What makes this task worse is that different schools have different requirements. So, I am writing 2 versions for different schools. The US ones are fine, the UK ones are disastrous. Cambridge initially wanted a short piece not more than 720 characters long. Note that it's not words, but characters, including spaces. I was wondering if they want me to use bombastic vocabulary and idioms? Just when I finished and managed to condense my original statement of 800 words to 719 characters (about 100 words), Cambridge said they want 4 pages instead. I almost want to kill myself when I read that from their email.

But I am thankful that friends have been critical and giving me their comments. Dr L even edited my second draft. So all the more, I shouldn’t let them down and myself down.

GRE

This is the worst nightmare I suppose. I am confident in my essays and the maths section, but not the verbal part.

J took the test recently and he said he might have to retake because he did not get 800 for maths. I said, “HUH? 770 for Maths and a total of almost 1500 still not good enough?”

J explained, “Applicants who got in to that course in that university got a minimum of 800 for maths.” (the maximum score one can get is 800).

I almost fainted on the spot.

In that case, do I need to get 800 for my verbal?

But I seriously do reckon that I have to retake the test, since I haven’t started preparing at all.

J said he had never seen most of the words in his life.

H.M said mugging might help. Well, I just printed out the word list.

But I've got only 5 more days.

Help!

No comments: