Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Full Moon on the Quad & Mid Autumn Festival

Full Moon on the Quad (FMOTQ) - one of Stanford's biggest events of the year - was held last Saturday night.

Held on exactly the same night 9000 miles away was another vaguely familiar event called Mid Autumn Festival (MAF) at Hwa Chong.

The nature of FMOTQ and MAF was obviously vastly different, but I suppose there is one and only one reason for attending, as Robert Crook - a Stanford student - aptly summed up on October 9's "Stanford Daily":

"Why did we, a collection of different people with different interests, decide to band together and share this experience? Was it for the kissing? ...... Was it the music? ...... Was it a lack of better things to do?......

......The nature of this X factor remained unclear to me until about halfway through K. Flay's performance, when familiar faces began materializing out of the ether. One, then two, then three and four and five and six -- before I knew it, I was surrounded by people I had seen every day of freshman year. Our exchanges were unintelligible, our mannerisms flamboyant, our collective reason for being there now boneheadedly obvious: We went there to be there. Being there. Being there in the company of others, in the middle of something bigger than ourselves, embracing the idiosyncrasies of university life. That's the source of magic behind events like Full Moon and even, one could argue, behind the Stanford Experience."


But most faces around me on Saturday were unfamiliar. In actual fact, I am still struggling to remember their names and match their names with their faces (even though all are Singaporeans). I felt a tinge of homesickness then and there. I miss the Left Wing and Right Wing. I miss the mass dances. I miss the Wushu performance. I miss going to Sixth Avenue for icecream after MAF...

The last time I attended MAF was like ages ago - I can't even remember which year. When will I be able to attend MAF again?

No comments: