Saturday, March 13, 2004

Six months and an indefinite end

To you who are reading this blog now,

Today, 13th March 2004, marks the end of the 6th month I've stepped foot onto United Kingdom (England). And its time to reflect upon myself again.

Six months, neither too short nor too long. These six months had seen me through autumn, the whole of winter and the beginning of spring. That's 3 seasons out of 4 in a year. *Whoa*

Six months. Yeah. How fast time flew since I left home on 14th Sept 2003 (I think I've said this countless times). The past six months have been a great time, really.

Being so far away, modern technology has helped to shrink this long distance from home, especially because this is the first time I left home for such a long period.

It is an undeniable fact that modern technology is simply too fascinating. I'm actually just a phone call or a click away from my home miles and miles away.

After these six months, I realised I simply cannot survive without the mobile or the internet now, although I seriously hope that I can be much less dependent on these forms of communication. Thank goodness, my life isn't dependent on a PDA as yet. I refuse to get a PDA now, just like how I refused to get a mobile in JC. Well, I survived without a mobile then, and I seriously don't know how I did it.

Ok. I'm digressing now. Back to the main point.

Writing a diary, consistently every day, has been what I've wanted to achieve long ago, but this dream has never been realised till I started this blog. I've tried writing everyday in NS but failed to persist.

So, its really fantastic to be able to blog for the past four months or so, sharing my life as a Londoner.

In fact, blogging has become a habit for me before I tuck in every night. I've become so habituated that I would feel my day isn't complete without recording down at the end of the day whatever I did, thought and dreamt about.

And I am indeed impressed by myself that I manage to blog every day over the past four months (except when I have no access to the virtual world, e.g. when I am backpacking).

However, looking back at what I've written, most of the entries were just personal crap or things that might not be relevant to you but are to a certain extent important to me.

In other words, this blog is just one of the many pedestrian records of my humdrum life out of so many Netizens.

From the initial "Memory is the thing you forget with" to the present "Choice is an illusion," I have only one motive in starting to write on a public web page in the first place.

The purpose is clear - this blog exists as a channel for me to keep my family (my parents can't read English, and that's why I write in Chinese occasionally) and friends informed and updated on my new life overseas.

I guess this motive has been met satisfactorily for the past four months, at least that is what I think so.

Since I've achieved what I've aimed to achieve, it's time for me to retreat temporarily for now.

I just see no point in updating my daily life on this page since I've settled in well already.

I just see no logic in boring you further with my mundane routine everyday anymore.

And so I've decided to try to be less reliant on blogspot from tomorrow onwards, and keep all future nonsense in my own diary.

Seriously, I don't know who are the people that have been reading my blog for the past few months. No matter who you are, I sincerely thank you for I wasted some of your precious time in which it could have been put to better use like reading your notes, doing your homework, relaxing and resting, watching TV blah blah blah... I truly appreciate your time. =)

This precious blog of mine has thus temporary reached its denouement. Just like any newspaper column.

From another point of view, I think I just need a short break for now. Or perhaps exposing too much of myself makes me more vulnerable. Or maybe people aren't too interested to keep in direct contact with me since they have explicit and conscious access to the knowledge of my daily lives and routine without interacting with me personally.

No matter what, I think I've made a satisfactory attempt, at least from my point of view, to keep everybody and anybody who is interested in my life to be informed of my life for the past half a year.

I hereby extend my appreciation once again, to those who have been reading and tolerating with my nonsense on this page.

Perhaps I'll leave an entry when I feel the need to relieve my anger or frustration. Or maybe I'll come back to this page and rant and ramble when something exciting happens to me. Basically I'll publish what I write when I have the compulsion/inspiration to do so.

And I'm indeed happy as well that I have 2144 page views thus far, since I started the counter 2 months ago. Thanks again for your continuous coming back to this page. I don't know what's so interesting about this blog that makes it deserved a 2144-page view. Not a large number in my opinion though, but I'm still happy.

Lastly, here's a quote about blogging I read from The Straits Times a couple of weeks ago, that might have reinforced my decision. I thought it is very true.

Assistant Professor Mark Cenite from the School of Communication and Information at the Nanyang Technological University observed: 'A blogger may enjoy writing a blog...but that doesn't mean everyone wants to read it. For most of us, the humble reality is that if our autobiographies were available at the library for others to read, they'd be gathering dust.'

And hence, my decision.

That's about it. We'll meet if we have fate.

I'm looking forward to the daffodils and tulips in Holland, really.

And of course, summer.

yw

P.S. Oh yah. Like I've promised, I've found the webpages to the planet panorama. Just go to www.space.com and you'll see lots of news about it. London is getting cloudy every night. Damn it.

But I'm delighted that the weather is getting warmer from today onwards, according to the forecasts. About 10 degrees. Now I can finally jump around in a T-shirt and bermudas.

No comments: