Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Starry Starry Night @ London Planetarium

No school today. But I did compile and consolidate some of my notes, which I thought was quite an accomplishment. Other than that its a mundane day.

So I shall write about the visit to the London Planetarium yesterday evening after school instead.

I was taken out of the world for that one full hour.

Embarking on an interstellar odyssey of discovery, I was completely memerised.

Its actually a computer stimulation but was very real.

Met the familar stars and constellations which I haven't seen for a while, like the easily recognised Orion Sword and Orion Belt, the very very colourful Orion Nebula (M42), and of course the whole Orion constellation. Orion is always visible in the Singapore night sky, not sure if I can see it whole year round in London though. I recognised the Great Dipper (or Great Bear) as well. But I had trouble with Sagittarius, Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, the Southern Cross etc.

And then, we were shown the planets as well. And comets, asteroids, galaxies, black holes, and they explained the origin of the Universe which it is believed to be the result of the Big Bang 15 billion years ago.

And this year is a special year for astronomers. First its the Mars thingy. Next, its the planet panorama. We are able to see with our NAKED eyes the FIVE nearest planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) TOGETHER in the night sky very clearly in the year of 2004. Especially later THIS month (March 26 onwards). Gotta wait till decades (2036) before this happens again. So look up into the night sky if you can. I don't know how to locate them as yet but I shall find the time to research. Shall update here if I manage to find out.

In short, the London Planetarium is a really cool place.

But its rather expensive to get in. You have to get the Madame Tussauds ticket which costs 20 pounds per entry.

Obviously this was a free trip! But we didn't get to enter Madame Tussauds.

I'm sure I will have a chance to visit it in future.

Have fun while star-gazing.

P.S. I'm getting more and more incoherent.

No comments: