Thursday, May 20, 2004

Today

It wasn't your typical gloomy London weather today. It was exceptionally bright and sunny, so much so that I regretted not wearing my sunglasses. I have been looking forward to the sun since ages ago, and now London has given me the sun that I was yearning for. Guess it is the long deprivation of sunlight that made today's sunlight seem so dazzling, that I kept walking under the shades wherever possible. Temperatures have hit an incredibly high of 25 degrees Celsius today, the highest this spring I think. So hot that I sweat along the way and I had to walk into some air-conditioned stores to escape from the heat. For once I thought I was back in Singapore, except that Orchard Road is definitely way shorter than Oxford Street and Bond Street, and the fact that temperatures in Singapore are unquestionably 10 degrees higher than that of London's.

So I was out today in search of "Lonely Planet for Germany" and the latest edition isn't out in stores yet. So I've gotten "The Rough Guide" which looks rather comparable, and two other Lonely Planet travel guidebooks (Greece and Czech & Slovak Republics). Yup, Greece (especially Athens and the Greek Islands including Santorini) and Czech Republic (esp. Prague, Cesky Krumlov and maybe Olomouc) will probably be my next destinations, along with France (esp. Paris, Loire, Nice and Lyon), Southern Italy (esp. Amalfi Coast, Siena and Sicily), Southern Germany (esp. Munich, Heidelberg and the Black Forest), Switzerland (esp. Geneva, Interlaken and Zurich) and Egypt etc. Spain, Portugal, Scandinavia, and the rest of Eastern Europe are off my list right now, but who knows.

Hopefully all goes well in Germany. My first time alone. Bless me.

(Looking forward to 15 degrees at Leipzig tomorrow morning.)