Thursday, July 01, 2004

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Psychologists have been studying the existence of engrams or memory traces, meaning that if they do exist, selected bits of memory can be erased. I myself do not believe in engrams, and hence I do not think that memory can be obliterated. But then again, experiments on animals and even human beings have shown that memory can be erased, which in turn suggest the existence of engrams.

On the other hand, memory can be implanted artificially through hypnosis and reconstructive or constructive memory. So, this again supports the possibility of the existence of engrams. In short, current research on engrams is still at a preliminary stage though such research has been conducted for decades.

Anyway, this is a great movie. I am glad that I didn't miss it.

No comments: