Wednesday, December 22, 2004

No bags, no travel

I understand perfectly my steadfast desires to travel and to get out of London whenever there’s a holiday or a break. That’s why when Yoichi asked me if he can borrow my Deuter backpack for his trip to Rome and Japan, I agreed without any contemplation. And then when Pearson asked me if he can borrow my suitcase as he’s going home to Zimbabwe for Christmas, I lent him my suitcase almost immediately as well.

So, I deliberately lent out all my bags and now, I have no luggage at all to travel with (many other people are going away too, so I have no people to borrow from). I clearly know that my travel desires will eventually snowball into something that I myself can’t control that I’ll most probably book a last minute flight to Madrid or Athens. So, it’s easy now. No bags, no travel. I’ll stay in dreary London for the 1st time during a break.

Anyway, the thought of spending my summer in South America is inviting enough, though I just realised that it will be winter there and then. My application for at least a 6-week stay in Peru got accepted a few weeks ago. Hopefully I’ll be able to accomplish something meaningful while in Peru, just like in Thailand. And hopefully with sufficient Spanish skills by then, I will be able to go to Brazil, Argentina et al. for another 2-3 weeks.

Facing a difficult choice between Europe and South America with limited financial resources, I will choose the latter since I’ve been to 7 European countries already and they all look the same after some time.

South America, here I come!

No comments: