Friday, January 07, 2005

Camper Shoes
Camper - Comfort with Imagination (Part 1 of 2)


(Note: I am not paid by Camper to advertise their shoes. Those who have worn Campers before should know that Campers are simply comfortable and imaginative. Now Camper is part of my body and I can’t really do without them, hence here are two whole entries devoted to Camper.)

Walking means travelling. Going from one place to another.

But in a metaphorical sense, it means progressing as well.

This is the firm conviction of Camper’s Walking Society.

“The Walking Society is a virtual circle of people from different social, cultural, economic and geographic realities, who individually or as a group, devote their imagination and their work to ideas, to coming up with useful, positive solutions to make the world a better place. Simply, anonymously, honestly.”

One such solution is the diverse and myriad quality shoes Camper has produced over the past 24 years.

By quality, I really mean quality.

Camper is not like Nike where the entire sole can drop off while walking on the street after only 9 months of use. That is precisely what happened to my Nike Air Max 95. From then on, I’ve never bought another pair of Nike and I never will unless Nike’s quality improves by 1000000%.

So far, my three pairs of Campers (all Pelotas) have served me excellently.

Literally speaking, “Camper means country person. The aesthetics and the values of this brand name are influenced by the austerity, simplicity and discretion of the rural world, along with the history, culture and landscape of the Mediterranean.”

Camper’s respect for tradition and craftsmanship marks their commitment to offering useful, original, quality products, at the same time constantly promoting diversity by means of the technical and aesthetic innovation provided by the team that makes up the firm. “We try, we strive, to make a more cultural, human approach.”

And Camper really did it.

Hence Camper’s shoes are simple yet creative, modest yet durable (and very light), useful yet humorous in a Mediterranean or Spanish way (especially the Twins collection).

With good shoes, walking is no problem. Hence, progress is no problem.

I clearly understand this fact ever since I've been walking almost everywhere when I first came to London two years ago. And ever since I’ve moved to Hampstead, I’m enjoying more English walks with the Spanish Campers, especially in the Heath.

As such, I have just invested 255 pounds in another 3 pairs of Campers: a pair of Twins (they are simply gorgeous, it took me such a long time to find them), a pair of Pelotas, and a pair of Mil boots.

3 pairs in 2 days. The staff must have thought I’m crazy.

But it was not an impulse buy this time round. I clearly knew which shoes and boots I wanted.

You know, guys, unlike women, do not try all the shoes in the store and then after hours of hesitation, decide which pair they actually want.

So armed with the shoes’ serial numbers and colour codes, I walked into Camper’s London’s busiest store at Covent Garden and, I merely spent less than 20 minutes trying the sizes, before swiping my credit card.

Well, it’s not that I’m freaking wealthy, but the shoes are on sale (I love the London winter sales!!!). As far as I know, Camper is never on sale in Singapore - an ordinary pair of Campers back home would have cost about S$300. Not only that they are expensive back home, the Camper stores in Singapore take forever to import the new collections - when it is already summer, the winter collection is still on the racks. So economically speaking, this current buy was a big saving. (Freud would say I’m rationalising).

Even though I’ve expended my savings intended for Peru, my heart didn’t ache at all. In fact, I felt ecstatic leaving the store with my new Campers.

“With our feet on the ground so we can continue to move ahead as we enjoy the walk in full awareness of where we are directing our steps. Simply, honestly, discreetly, we unite with everyone who devotes their work and their imagination to finding positive ways to improve the world.”

How often do you walk?

(Some parts in quotation marks are adapted from Camper’s “The Walking Society” Issue 9.)

No comments: