Friday, January 23, 2004

Chinese New Year Dinner

I had a bad New Year's eve becos of one stupid dream, and so I refused to attend the steamboat dinner organised by Sing Soc yesterday. Instead I cooped myself up in my hostel... didn't even bothered to step out of my room into the kitchen to cook dinner yesterday night. So today, when Sharon invited me for a CNY dinner with her bunch of medicine friends, I agreed instantaneously without hesitation. No point making myself dispirited and doleful on the first day of CNY in a foreign land, yah?

So we had a dunno-how-many-course Chinese dinner at this Chinese restaurant called Kam Tom (I think that's what it's called... can't remember liao... =p) at Bayswater for 16.50 pounds per person. They tried booking two tables at Four Seasons two weeks ago but all seats were reserved then... Sighz. I miss the roast duck there. I will go back there soon.

Anyway, the dinner wasn't as fantastic as expected, though we had some pretty palatable decent Chinese food. We expected Four Seasons to be better if we managed to have tables there, but it was still a great time spent... Even though I dunno any single person there out of 20+ future doctors-to-be (except Sharon), the 2 tables of Chinese (Singaporeans, Malaysians, Hong Kees, and 1 ang moh -- boyfriend of a friend) in the land of the ang mohs still somehow made this occassion an enjoyable and pleasurable one. We all miss home, that's an undeniable fact. But when we get together, it feels as though we are back home again, with all the lah, lor, leh, huh, kao pehs etc... and that's simply wonderful, cos we do not all come from Singapore, but we are all Chinese (except that ang moh boyfriend). Yah, Malaysians and Hong Kees have a bit of lah, lor, leh also.

So, I'm glad I went to the dinner after that stupid dream.

And I'm looking forward to this coming Sunday, where Chinatown and Leicester Square will hold its annual CNY celebration with firecrackers (I missed that in Singapore, so I will NOT miss the fire crackers here even though I have a lab report to finish by the next morning), fireworks, acrobat, wu long wu shi...

And I should call back home tomorrow. Haven't done that yet... tsk tsk...

Hope you guys had a great Chinese New Year as well... =)

Must-dos
(1) Call home.
(2) Cut hair.
(3) Go Borders look for TextBook.

No comments: