Saturday, January 17, 2004

Harrods Shopping

Went to Harrods in the morning before the astronomy lecture with Luna, Melissa and her mum. Finally. 1st visit to Harrods after 4 months in London. Really cool place. Bought some Harrods toffees to bring home in summer. Went to the chocolate bar and had a tiny cup of dark thick chocolate at 3.50 pounds. Really really good. Went to the food halls and was marvelled by all the food and chocolates and pastries. Was tempted to buy as usual, but somehow managed to suppress my burning desires to do so. Spent 8 pounds instead of the usual 11.50 pounds for 3 sticks of cocoa butter and hemp lip balm at The Body Shop instead. (cocoa butter is really good, my lips never crack once, though it always makes me feel like eating chocolate. =p)

Reminded of the miserable Harrods store at the basement of Takashimaya which is not even 1% of the Harrods London. Is it still there?

Astronomy

Then went to school for my 1st Astronomy lecture. One of the best lectures with one of the best lecturers. Corny and humorous guy whose whole life is so devoted to astronomy and nothing else but astronomy. Learnt about the brief history of astronomy today. Will be going to the London Planetarium soon to have a lesson. Hopefully can do some star-gazing then. Haven't done that for a long long time.

Learnt today that we are supposed to be able to see as many as 3000 stars with our naked eyes on a cloudless night. I can only remember how to identify the northern star, the great dipper, the orion belt now, haven't paid a visit and talked to them for a while liao, the rest of the stars and constellations I can vaguely remember. I remember the clear sky in Kem Eco, Malaysia, where I was taught how to identify Scorpio, Leo, Northern Star, Southern Cross bla bla bla. I remember the four or five shooting stars I saw then as well. Really beautiful. I remember wanting to go star-gazing during the meteor shower in 1998, but was having O levels then. Now I regret it.

I love stars. London's sky is always so cloudy, comparable to Singapore's. Where else can I go star-gazing? Anybody wants to go?

I want to see the aurora borealis (northern lights) as well.

Forgetful

Walked into the lecture theatre to realise that I forgot to bring my stationery for the first time in my WHOLE academic life. Remembered to bring paper though. Had to borrow pen from a stranger in the end to take notes. Tsk tsk... What's happening to me?

Dinner

Haven't had such a sumptuous home-cooked dinner for a long time. Cooked curry chicken, terriyaki salmon, and cabbage with carrots. Yummy. Spent 50 pounds (150 sing dollars... I can't help to convert again) on grocery shopping for these stuff though... Bought loads of food that should be able to last the two of us for 3 weeks to a month. =)

Greenwich

Finally uploaded the photos I'd taken at Greenwich (click here to have a look) end of last year. Didn't take many photos since it was rainy and I had a cold then.

Must-dos
(1) Cut hair.
(2) Start writing lab report.

Should-dos
(1) Hoover room on Monday.
(2) Upload Austrian photos.

No comments: