Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Snow?

It's 2 degrees celsius now.

Temperature dipped by a few degrees today, trying desperately to maintain above freezing point. But I dun feel anything at all. Am I numb or what?

Heavy snow was reported in some Northern parts of UK and it is forecasted that outbreaks of sleet and snow might be occurring in the South.

So snow in London doesn't seem that impossible for the rest for this week.

Somehow I missed the snow in Vienna now.

I want to see snow in London.

Are Several Heads Better than One?

"A man bought a horse for $60 and sold it for $70. Then he bought it back for $80 and again sold it for $90. How much money did he make in the horse business?"

I was 100% confident that my answer will be correct and I was extremely surprised when I found out that I actually got it wrong. Am I retarded? Am I an idiot?

This question is from a classic study by psychologists Maier and Solem (1952). They found that only 45% of the college students they asked could solve the problem when working alone. When students worked in five- or six-person groups, however, they did considerably better. Students who worked in groups with an "inactive" leader (a person who simply observed the conversation) answered correctly 72% of the time, and students who worked in groups with a "permissive" leader (who encouraged all group members to express an opinion) answered correctly 84% of the time.

So, it is shown that open discussion can lead to a significant increase in accuracy.

Can you solve the question alone?

Contact me if you want the solution.

Must-dos
(1) Finish reading Plous's "The psychology of decision making".
(2) Start writing essay.
(3) Experiment on 28/01/04 1400 hrs Room 228.

Reminders
(1) Go LT's house this Sat.

No comments: