Tuesday, January 13, 2004

First Day of School

Saw many familiar faces once again at my department. Some of them are still in Singapore (or whatever their hometown is) though. I was bewildered by the attendance for today's lectures - the lecture theatre was almost full - many unfamiliar faces, probably affliate students who are here for only one academic term.

This term's timetable isn't really fantastic. Have to go to school everyday, no more free days this term. Although I have only around 18 hours per week, the lectures are all spread out with 3 or 4 hours break in between the lectures. I end at 5 pm for Tuesdays to Thursdays and 4 pm on Mondays and Fridays for the first half of this term. Thursdays are the worst, with lessons from 10 am all the way till 5 pm with only an hour lunch break in between. What the hell...

First Two Lectures and Lots of Notes

Only two hours of lectures today on the introduction and history of social psychology. And I have already 6 + 2 + 21 +7 + 17 + 8 (I dun wan to know the sum of those figures) pages full of black ink awaiting my scrutiny on the FIRST day of school after ONLY two lectures. So many new terms and names staring at me... Le Bon, Lazarus, Steinthal, Wundt, Lewin, Stouffer, Cartwright... They know me but I dunno them as yet. Hopefully I will in the future.

Rain

The typical London weather. Rain and never-ending rain. It wasn't a thunderstorm, just drizzle. And so again, I roamed the streets without an umbrella. Temperature was 7 degrees. Very refreshing.

Cloud Nine

First time after so many months that I stepped out of the lecture theatre at 4 pm and it hadn't turned dark. The sky after the drizzle was cloudless, really cloudless, not even a single cloud, and I was on cloud nine, cos the day is getting longer everyday by about 4 minutes. That means winter is ending and spring is coming soon. Yeah!

Letter/Card

Received another greeting card. Feels great to receive something from a place 13 hours away by air. It really makes my day. Thanks momo. I really appreciate it though your previous postcard should have gotten lost in the mail.

Chocolates

After school, I went to Tesco with the one and only intention of spending 45 pence on buying bread. In the end I spent 10 times more to bag away 1 extra bottle of crunchy peanut butter, 4 more Kit Kat Chunkys (on offer!) and 1 extra box of Anthon Berg Strawberry in Champagne Chocolate (on offer as well!). Tsk Tsk...

Hair

No plans to get a haircut until Melissa commented today that my hair was getting long. Yup indeed... haven been to a barber since I stepped into London September last year... 4+ months already... Shall wait till it gets out of control before parting with at least 6 pounds on a cut.

Getting Poorer

The exchange rate now stands at 1.00 GBP = 3.12915 SGD. Incredible. Plus transport fares hikes. I promise I am going to have less salmon, chicken, beef, pork and chocolate from now on.

Reminders

I need a new diary for 2004, but I'm too stingy to buy one for myself in London, so I shall remind myself everyday at the end of an entry some things that I must/should do for the next day, in case I forget:

Must-dos
(1) Help Sharon with her luggage at King's Cross after school.
(2) Call up Lonely Planet to ask for my overdue order.
(3) Pay my accomodation fees (1002.75 pounds) for this term and the Easter break by 23rd January.
(4) Get the printer cartridges from Melissa.
(5) Write letters and replies.

Should-dos
(1) Hoover my room (the last time I hoovered was before I left for Austria, oh my god, tt's 3 weeks ago!)
(2) Apply for credit card at HSBC. (hopefully its successful, they reject me the last time.)
(3) Read and read and read and read... (x infinity)
(4) Upload my photos taken in Greenwich and Austria.
(5) Stop eating too much chocolate.
(6) Exercise.

That's all for today. Going to make sandwich for dinner. Good Luck to myself and the world.

No comments: