Monday, January 26, 2004

Internet and CNY

I was completely away for the past 2 days from the virtual world. I realised that my dependence on the internet has been so great that I am unable to complete much work without it. But then again, it shows how we human beings can be so reliant on technology and makes us more vulnerable in another sense. This is no good. I must make some hard copies of my lectures, blog, emails, bank statements etc. Hmm… I wondered how I survived without a handphone in JC.

Anyway, the whole of Saturday was spent in my hall doing reading and writing my lab report, so that I was able to go out on the next day for the CNY celebrations.

And it turned out to be really great. Weather was exceptionally sunny and bright. I must say the weather yesterday was the best so far throughout my stay since last September.

Sharon and I thought that the celebrations were only limited to Leicester Square and Chinatown. The scenes were like those of Chinatown in Singapore, but much more civilised. There were stalls selling artwork, selling traditional Chinese food, selling Singaporean and Malaysian food. Some people sold calligraphy works as well, which we thought we can write better than them. And it was like 10 pounds for a piece. Ang mohs are very fascinated by the calligraphy and buy them like they are free. Maybe I’ll consider setting up a calligraphy stall next year and earn some extra pocket money for travel. =p

Just when we thought that was all, we decided to walk to Trafalgar Square and oh my, to our surprise, the entire Trafalgar Square was exploding with life. People from dunno where flooded the square instead of the usual inhabitants (loads of tourists and pigeons). The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, was there as well, and it goes to show the status of CNY and the Chinese community in London.

One disappointment is that we didn’t manage to catch the fire crackers and fireworks cos we were in Wong Kei eating roast duck while the performance was taking place. We decided that our tummies were more important than the crackers. Ha… Never mind, there’s always next year and the year after next. And oh yah, the service of Wong Kei has improved tremendously since the last time I went in November 2003. Maybe the change in attitude and service was just due to CNY. (P.S. Wong Kei is so infamous and notorious for its extremely lousy service that it made it into the Guinness Records many many years back.)

Then after lunch, they had the lion dance troops going to virtually every store in Chinatown. The whole Lisle Street and Gerrad Street were packed like sardines with more ang mohs than Chinese. But a good thing is the weather is cool and of course, “no sweat” at all squeezing through the hordes of Chinese, British and tourists.

That’s about it for now. 1st time blogging in school. Argh… Going for lecture now. When is my room internet going to revive?

No comments: