Monday, February 23, 2004

Oxford

<1>

I could tell their tiredness and lassistude immediately I saw their eyes. Jaded. Everybody was jaded. In that stressful university called Oxford. Oxford has become synonymous with academic excellence and also, pressure and stress. All of a sudden I felt glad that I got rejected by Oxford. Not once, but twice.

At the same time, I empathised with Willy and Huimin. They told me that sometimes they just want to get out of Oxford. Just get out of that town to anywhere else except Oxford. I have that feeling too, even though I am a Londoner. I wanted to get out of London. Just for a week. Even a day would be good. That's why I was in Sheffield, Manchester and then Oxford. That's why I am going travelling every break.

And I know they are very busy. Who aren't busy in university? And yet, I was glad that they were very willing and happy to meet me despite the heavy work load and readings and essays and reports etc etc etc to be finished. I felt guilty for some moments that because of me, he didn't do any work over the weekend.

<2>

Upon arrival, they brought me to the outskirts of Oxford to have lunch. It was a very cool restaurant called Trout Inn. Then we went to the meadow nearby. It was a huge meadow. Quiet meadow. There were horses grazing and practically nobody else except the four of us (plus Jiahui). We walked rather close to the horses. It was a very tranquil place. Peaceful and serene. Hyde Park is peaceful too but too many people. I think I will come back to this meadow to destress whenever the need arises.

<3>

Then we toured around the university city. Saw where the bench at Merton College where Tolkein sat on and got his inspiration for Lord of the Rings; saw Christ Church where Harry Potter was filmed; saw the famous Magdalen College and some other colleges. Its amazing that every college, every street, every library and simply everything in Oxford has its own story. Ate the famous marvellous Oxford-originated Ben's cookies as well.

<4>

Then we chatted till 3 am that night in Huimin's room. From hwachong to LEP to SPH to PSC to life to backpacking to our friends to doing post graduate to anything... and everything...

<5>

The next day, i.e. today, was spent walking around in the historic town of Oxford as well. I like Oxford more than London. Only two days here and I have grown a liking for this place.

<6>

I sensed something was wrong again when he walked away from the bus stop after sending me off. I knew that it's coming back again as a vicious cycle. But I sux. As a friend, I simply can't do anything to help at all. Absolutely helpless. What can I do when I can't even help myself??? Life simply sux sometimes.

No comments: