Thursday, February 19, 2004

Things I accomplished today:

(1) Walked around the city centre of Sheffield, finally saw some life in it probably because today is a weekday and it was dead that day I arrived probably because it was a Sunday then. Everything was like dirt cheap compared to London. One big bunch of bananas for 50p? 18 eggs for 1.29 quids? And then there are a few one pound shops as well selling everything (even DVD, of course old ones) at one pound.

(2) Visited Castle Market as well. The first wet market I've seen since I stepped into England. Dun think there are any wet markets in Central London. At least none that I know of. Castle Market is very similar to that of the market at Chinatown (People's Park Complex) in Singapore, where you have retailers selling consumer goods like shampoos and other body care products, clothes on one side, and stalls selling wet food like poultry, eggs, meat, vegetables and fruits on the other. For some moments I thought I was back home again, after which the English accent brought me back to reality again. And one major difference is that Castle Market don't have a hawker centre attached to it. It's solely a wet market. I miss eating all the good food at Bedok Hawker Centre and everywhere in Singapore again.

(3) Went to Meadowhall again. I am having a serious obsession with watches recently. Collecting watches has subconsciously become my hobby now. Irresistibly bought another watch today. It's actually a Fossil key clip with a red-faced watch and a mini compass. On sale! Only 12.50 quids. That's about 37.50 Singapore dollars. Where can you get a Fossil watch at that price? So I bought it without much hesistation. Hmm... I'm going to save to buy another Swatch Irony in due time.

(4) Watched the cheapest movie (Cold Mountain) in UK today also. Only 2.60 quids (S$7.50). Incredible. Can never get to watch at that price in Central London. The cheapest in London was 5 quids (LOTR III).

(5) That's about it. Will be going to some galleries tomorrow (actually in a few hours time) in Sheffield before I head back to London in the evening because I'm having a lecture on Friday. Sux... I almost forget I actually have the Astronomy lecture on Friday. Then I'll head to Oxford over the weekend. It's one plus am now. Wenda still needs to do his tutorial. I need to read my stats as well. Good nite.

No comments: